For Thursday, November 29th, please read the following:
- How Multiculturalism is Betraying Women by Johann Hari.
- The Failures of Multiculturalism by Aidan Maconachy
Consider some of the following sets of questions, and answer one set of questions fully:
- At the beginning of Hari’s article, she asks: “Do you believe in the rights of women, or do you believe in multiculturalism?” Why does Hari ask the question the way she does? What does the question alone suggest? What is Hari’s main argument, and what, if any, relevance to you think this has to “American” culture? What problems do you see with Hari’s argument?
- What do both Hari and Maconachy suggest is the primary flaw with multiculturalism? Discuss each author’s criticism of multiculturalism, as well as which points you agree and/or disagree with, and why.
- What does Maconachy suggest might be the solution to what he perceives is the problem with multiculturalism? Would his solution work in the United States? Why or why not? What elements of Maconachy’s article do you agree with, and which do you disagree with, and why?