- Marx, Karl. “The Fetishism of Commodities and the Secret Thereof”
- “Brought to you B(U)Y: The Signs of Advertising,” p. 141-150, SOL
- “Media Culture,” p. 70-81, TT
- View: bell hooks, Pt8 Cultural Criticism (rap music)
Ok folks, I’m tossing a little Marx your way this week. I realize that the reading is difficult, but try your best. We’ll go over it in class, but take notes about what parts you do and do not understand. Karl Marx’s influence on our contemporary understanding of commodity culture is quite significant, so I wanted to expose you to some of his original writing.
For this week’s blog response, I want you each to focus on either one of the two following points of discussion:
1. Describe what you understand from reading Marx’s writing (his main argument/s and ideas) and how you think his main concept/s apply to (or exemplify) what you read about advertising and/or media culture.
2. Explain how bell hooks video examining rap culture either exemplifies or helps you to further understand your readings on advertising and/or media culture.